Thursday, January 15, 2015

Motherhood and Grandmother-hood

Motherhood and Grandmother-hood
By Mary Jean Marquez

I was blessed with my first Grand child on December 14, 2014, and I have to say it has been quite a beautiful experience.  Motherhood has prepared me for the the God given task of being a Grandmother, and I am so up for it.  It is a blessing and honor!

My Four Beautiful Daughters Vanessa, Jessica, Chrysta, & Jenna
I would like to share my experience as a young mother of four daughters, and what I learned that prepared me for my season of being a Grandmother.  I was 24 years of age when I was blessed with my first daughter and 37 years of age when I had my last daughter.  There is approximately 2 1/2 years between the first three and almost ten years between my third and fourth daughter.  My first Granddaughter was born the year I turned 50. 

I had the blessed privilege of raising my children and have no regrets when it comes to being a Mom, but as a young mother it seemed like I was in the diaper and bottle stages forever with very little sleep and trying to keep up with a household, husband who was always out of town, church/volunteering, pets, school.  I had so much on my plate, I had to learn how to say NO to some things.  When my husband and I got to the stage of our three girls being independent and in school...we had our fourth daughter; starting all over again!  This was so hard in many levels, but such a blessing.  I truly feel that for many years I was so wound up trying to do this mother thing right, under so much pressure, I missed out on the full beauty of motherhood, and did not enjoy my children as much in their younger years, but have abundantly made up for it in their older years.    

Grandma Jean and Granddaughter Addison
As a Grandmother, having gone through all of those years raising my daughters, I have learned a few things about myself and parenting.  I am so much more wiser, light hearted, and joyful.  I don't sweat the small stuff like I used to, and I am so much more relaxed and mature in many ways.  My girls and I have so much fun and enjoy each others company.  We have wonderful conversations  and I, with open honesty, share my life experiences with them.  I feel equipped to be a Grandmother and to help my children in their season of motherhood-parenthood.  They don't have to do it alone, as I had to.  Thank God!

My advice to young mothers out there is to relax and enjoy the years that your children are young; these years go by quickly.  Don't put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect, and know that you are a good Mom.

To Grandmothers, Enjoy-Enjoy-Enjoy and seize your second chance at doing it better and wiser with a joyful heart.  Be a blessing to your children and future generations imparting your wisdom and love.

God bless you always and raise your children in the Admonition of the Lord and great will be their peace-Shalom (Isaiah 54:13).

Mary Jean Marquez
Momma Jean & Grandma Jean
Creator & Founder of Women Uplifting Women
www.TheWomenUpliftingWomen.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment